Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4102) contact and intelligence

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4102) contact and intelligence
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:32:15 -0700

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > The list of techs is a rather large goody to give so cheaply. Can we
> > > disallow tech exchange before an embassy is estabished?
> >
> > I don't really see why we should introduce that extra complexity. When
> > people see my units, they usually realize how few techs I have anyway ;)
>
> What is when your hightech unit was bribed (with city or normal) from
> another player? You can't be sure that someone has a tech when he has
> the units. And you can estimate if someone is doing research or tax when
> you get that information.
>
> I think don't give the aggressive/attacking/exploring player to much
> information. (Ok is bad for me, but think it wouldn't be fair)

So how about this: We can intelligence dialog info from someone we're in
contact with (not yet embassy), but we can't see their techs, including
what you are currently researching. That's easy to do. Hence, when you
open up the diplomacy dialog, you can give your own techs to the other
side, and he can put his techs on the table, but you can't suggest _his_
techs into the proposal, because you don't know and can't see what techs
he has.

  - Per