Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4100) Transitive treaties under alliance

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4100) Transitive treaties under alliance
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:39:15 -0700

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:58:15PM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > > No.

> > > Yes.
> > I think alliances have to be transitive. War state is not.
> >
> > So make an alliance is only allowed when all allies of A are at least
> > neutral with all allies of B. When the alliance actually happens, all allies
> > of A and B become allied to each other.
> >
> > When A cancels an alliance with B, all his other alliances are cancelled,
> > too.
>
> What if allied(A, B) and allied(C, D), and then war(A, C) and peace(A, D)
> while war(B, D) and peace(B, C)? You don't get stacking problems, but it
> is still pretty schizophrenic.
>
> To sum up:
>
> I see five different solutions:
> 1) Keep the present approach.
> 2) Make only alliances transitive.
> 3) Make both war and alliance transitive when in alliance.
> 4) Make war, ceasefire and alliance transitive when in alliance.
> 5) Make all treaties transitive when in alliance.

I think for AI a stricter rule is necessary than for players.

USA allied with Germany, USA at war with Irak -> Germany at war with
Irak? No

And think there are cases where nations were at war each other. A with
B and both were allied with C.

I would solve the invading city with allied transport problem with a
check like for paratroops. When entering a city and there are is a unit
which is at least allied with the city, the units on transport die. Would
go to prison.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.