Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tidying savegames to pave the way for plug mapgens

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Cameron Morland <Cameron@xxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tidying savegames to pave the way for plug mapgens
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:33:23 -0300 (ADT)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

> IMHO if we have the infrastructure to start external programs we
> should use this and move all mapgen code out of the server.
>
> So it looks like you want to make external mapgenerators easy and I
> want the freeciv server code easy. Maybe it is possible that we both
> get what we want. The server starts an external program. Some kind of

This is a very nice idea. The mapgen is a pregame setup operation not
needed in the game itself. Whether it happens minutes before the game or
years before back when someone created a scenario is not really relevant
to the actual game-play engine so does not belong in the actual game-play
engine.

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/