Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: different types of coast

To: James <james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: different types of coast
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:38:15 +0200

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 09:37:50PM +0000, James wrote:
> What about having different types of coast:
>       -Cliff coast: Prevents any units from coming ashore from that
> direction.
> Cities on cliffs cannot have ships enter them, or build ships unless they
> have a harbour built.
>       -Beaches: Allows ships to offload troops.  Cities built next to beaches
> can
> have ships enter them without harbours.
>
> This would add a whole new dimention to invading someone's island.  Some
> islands could be extremely well defended because they are surrounded by
> cliffs, although this would make costal cities difficult to be used as ports
> because they wouldn't be able to build ships until they built a harbour.
>
> It would also be interesting because islands could have hidden, or very well
> defended bays that would give building a city there a very good strategic
> advantage.

I like it. It may slow down the expansion of a player with many
ironclads. So a city which has only cliffs could have access to a
whale but is quite defended because you can't get the city with the
usual attack-with-ironclads-and-capture-with-a-horsemen. The same
could be achieved by providing a special which has the same value as a
whale for non-ocean tiles.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.