Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3984) William the Conqueror

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3984) William the Conqueror
From: "Reinier Post" <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:46:22 -0700

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 01:16:12AM -0700, Guest wrote:

> Salut,
>
> William the Conqueror is not english but french, he's born in Falaise, a
> town in Normandy, France. His name should be removed from the England
> list and put in the France one, with the name "Guillaume le Conquérant"
> instead of "William the Conqueror".

I think you are mistaken..  The lists represent rulers, and William
ruled the English, while he never ruled the French.  Of course if there
was a Normandy nation he could be listed there.  As to the name,
you may be right; I don't know what the policy is at the moment.

Note that your objection applies to other rulers, for example,

  George Washington (British)
  Mohammad (some local tribe?)
  Jan Lucembursky (German or Luxemburgish)
  Hitler (Austrian)
  Kenyatta (British)
  Stalin (Georgian)

--