Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#771) Diplomatic Meeting Window City List

To: dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#771) Diplomatic Meeting Window City List
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 02:20:02 -0800

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 05:54:45PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> [dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Jun 22 13:13:16 1999]:
>
> > A problem in current CVS is that the number of goal techs in the
> > goal menu of the science dialog can become too large, making it
> > impossible to select goal techs from the bottom of the list.
> >
> > (Arguably this is a toolkit problem -- the widget should have a
> > more sub-item or something.  But the current result is a freeciv
> > problem.)
> >
> > This is potentially a problem with both Xaw and GTK+ clients,
> > though I notice it more with the GTK+ client due to fonts/spacing.
> > It can also becomes a problem with variant rulesets, eg I had
> > this problem severely with the Ancients modpack.
> >
> > Currently the code lists all goal techs within a fixed number
> > of steps away; perhaps that number of steps should be adjusted
> > during the game to limit to a maximum number of techs in the
> > goal menu.
>
> This was "fixed" long ago in the stable branch, with an ugly and
> error-prone workaround to create submenus when the menu was judged to be
> too full.

Yes, that was me :) Please look at the time stamp then you know why I
tried to fight through the C jungle.

> For the development branch we have several choices:
>
> 1.  Don't fix it.

Even worse.

> 2.  Fix it using the original (stable version) patch.

Possible. Isn't it this way right now?

> 3.  Fix it in a more general way.

Feel free to do so.

> Note that the same bug applies in at least one other place (although I
> don't remember where offhand) - this is a problem with choice #2.

AFAIK cities and techs in meeting dlg and techs in science dlg. The latter
being fixed by limiting the number of techs displayed, which is suboptimal in
my eyes.

> Choice #1 is also fine with me, since this is basically a GTK bug anyway
> and only affects the (deprecated) GTK+-1.2 client.  Choice #3 is okay,
> if somebody will write the code.

GTK 1.2 deprecated? So I should install GTK 2 here?

> jason

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/