Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#771) Diplomatic Meeting Window City List

To: dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#771) Diplomatic Meeting Window City List
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:54:45 -0800

[dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Jun 22 13:13:16 1999]:

> A problem in current CVS is that the number of goal techs in the
> goal menu of the science dialog can become too large, making it
> impossible to select goal techs from the bottom of the list.
>
> (Arguably this is a toolkit problem -- the widget should have a
> more sub-item or something.  But the current result is a freeciv
> problem.)
>
> This is potentially a problem with both Xaw and GTK+ clients,
> though I notice it more with the GTK+ client due to fonts/spacing.
> It can also becomes a problem with variant rulesets, eg I had
> this problem severely with the Ancients modpack.
>
> Currently the code lists all goal techs within a fixed number
> of steps away; perhaps that number of steps should be adjusted
> during the game to limit to a maximum number of techs in the
> goal menu.

This was "fixed" long ago in the stable branch, with an ugly and
error-prone workaround to create submenus when the menu was judged to be
too full.  For the development branch we have several choices:

1.  Don't fix it.

2.  Fix it using the original (stable version) patch.

3.  Fix it in a more general way.

Note that the same bug applies in at least one other place (although I
don't remember where offhand) - this is a problem with choice #2.
Choice #1 is also fine with me, since this is basically a GTK bug anyway
and only affects the (deprecated) GTK+-1.2 client.  Choice #3 is okay,
if somebody will write the code.

jason