Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: The FS Project

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: The FS Project
From: Rafal Bursig <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:00:09 +0100

Dnia 2003.03.25 20:06 Raimar Falke napisał(a):
On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 02:23:07PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > <naive>
> > > How about fixing SDL? This way our work will benefit the greater
number of
> > > people.
> > > </naive>
> >
> > http://www.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl/1998-December/020268.html:
> > There are two facts which stand against this:
> >  - freeciv uses select without problems
> > - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/select_2.asp?frame=true
> > claims that this function is available in all windows versions I
know.

> So are you saying that it is impossible to work it the SDL
maintainer, is
> that it? Or that he has made his mind up about using the wrong
approach,
> and that is unacceptable for freeciv (it sure didn't look like it
from the
> post)? Or what?
>
> I'm definitely not going to insist on anything at all here, since
I'm not
> going to do any of the coding, but I am rather curious.

I asked and Sam and I exchanged some mail (see
http://www.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl/2003-March/thread.html and search
for "select").

--- quote of last mail ---
On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:21:17PM -0800, Sam Lantinga wrote:

> > > We're considering something like that for SDL 2.0,
>
> > So SDL 1.2 won't be changed?! When will SDL 2.0 be published?
>
> SDL 1.2 is API frozen, but I'm happy to accept patches that don't
> affect binary compatibility.

To get access to a key advantage of select (the native network
support) the API needs to be extended. The SDL equivalent of
gdk_input_add / XtAppAddInput needs to be added. And also the
corresponding remove function.

Is this possible?

Raimar
--- quote of last mail ---

No answer on this last one.

Raimar what I say now is hard but I read SDL list for some time and I get this conclusions :
"If you don't send code ( patches ) , you can ask forever"

And last mail from Sam is clear :
> SDL 1.2 is API frozen, but I'm happy to accept patches that don't
> affect binary compatibility.

If you want it , do it, but you can't affect binary compatibility.
I'm sure we can do somthing with that.

Rafal

Kochasz pilke nozna? Zagraj i wygraj! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f16fb