Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3745) Diplomacy patch (alpha version)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3745) Diplomacy patch (alpha version)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:37:18 -0800

This is my previously RFC'ed diplomacy patch, not to be confused with the
AI diplomacy patch. It is very crude still, and only the gtk2 client will
work out of the diff.

I need help getting the gtk1, xaw, win32 and other clients working with
this patch, as I am unable to compile and/or code for them.

In short, what it does:
 - "No contact" is rephrased as "Never met", otherwise same.
 - "Contact" is now a new mode, which means units of these players have
been adjacent within the previous X turns, where X is a server
set variable.
 - You can Meet with any player with embassy to you or that you have
embassy to or that you have Contact with.
 - You can give away an embassy to another player as part of the diplomacy
dialog.
 - You can now create a new type of treaty called "Trade treaty". Any
player with this treaty to you can exchange gold for shields worth of
units or buildings built with your tech that they "import".
 - There is a new pact called "Union" which is one step up from Alliance.
Players in this pact type share tech output and tech goals completely. If
one player changes researched tech, it also changes to the other player.
Any tech bulbs produced by one is shared with the other(s). (This is an
implementation of Iuz and pille's techpool idea.)

Screenshots:
http://www.leftist.net/perrin/dipl1.png
http://www.leftist.net/perrin/dipl2.png
http://www.leftist.net/perrin/dipl3.png

What it doesn't yet do:
 - "Never met" is still synonymous with war. This will change after AI
Diplomacy patch - at the moment the AI depends on this for its game logic.
 - There is no "off switch" for the new features (give embassy, trade
treaty and union). A tech flag was suggested, but I'd rather wait until
this can be implemented properly as three gen effects.
 - Work buglessly.
 - Work with AI Diplomacy patch.

Yes, it does contain bugs. One is that the tech dialog is updated after
union is agreed upon only wrt newly acquired techs but not for the newly
averaged bulbs. Otherwise science dialog updates works fine. I need some
help figuring this one out, I think.

Comments and bug reports much appreciated.

  - Per