Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3710) gtk2 city dialog, production

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3710) gtk2 city dialog, production
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:56:11 -0800

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> In the CVS city dialog, the production tab of the dialog shows great
> promise.

I just moved some widgets around and removed some useless cruft. I still
need to reimplement the production dialog and the rest, but I wanted to do
things piecemeal. The thing I was more worried about was the units display.

> However, it is not listed in "Next time open" in "Misc settings", so you
> can't get it to open there by default. This is a bug.

Ugh.

> Also, the selecting production part is still time consuming, when it no
> longer has to. The player should be able to drag and drop production
> targets from the list over to worklist and/or current production. This is
> faster (which is very important) and avoids the annoying production dialog
> that pops up when you click on the "Change" button. It is also more
> intuitive.

I plan to eliminate the change button. I see no need for it if the
worklists work properly.

Regarding drag and drop: sure I can add it but it is useless.
In case you never noticed double-clicking on something in the available
items list moves it to the current worklist. Double-clicking on something
in the current worklist removes it. Sure beats wagging the mouse pointer
around. ;-)

> Alternatively, the current production can be the first item in the
> worklist list. This way you can double-click on a new production item,
> then double-click on the first item in the worklist list, and change
> production this way. It is also much faster than the "Change" button
> dialog. And also more intuitive.

Ah, yeah, that is my idea. I guess my comment above was redundant. :-)
The current production isn't currently updated properly if you change the
worklist. Try adding something to the top of the worklist and flipping to
overview and back to production to see what I mean.
This will be fixed eventually of course. This week I hope.

> I wish I could implement this myself, but my gtk skills leave everything
> to be desired.

Nah. Focus on the AI. I can make this myself. Trying to make everything by
yourself at the same time usually leads to poor results. No one man is an
army. :-)

---