Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3550) Partial buy production

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3550) Partial buy production
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:25:55 -0800

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:48:35AM -0800, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:59:46AM -0800, Rafa Bursig wrote:
>
> > I'm little missunderstand you... what do you want buy cheaper.
> > When you buy something you can't change productions.
> > This options should give you chance buy only so much shields that you
> > need to finish unit/building in next turn.
>
> I think this should be the standard behaviour.  Adding more options
> (presented every time) just to allow the player an obscure, undocumented
> gambling chance in the case someone else completes the same wonder in the
> same turn (a 1 in 50 games event) is not a good idea.

Yes. With the exception, that, you never know whether the building is
completed next turn, when you buy cheap. You save some gold, but end up
with the work/building/unit undone. That's even worse.

The reason for this is, that the current production at the time you buy very
well may change until the turn is completed. An enemy unit can block a tile,
the CMA interacts, some other change, a revolution.

That's why this doesn't make much sense to me. Also, you do not really save
money in the long run, because what you save now, will be required later
anyway.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/