[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3391) SDL client polls the network

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3391) SDL client polls the network
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:04:04 -0800

Currently the SDL client monitors the network connection by polling
every 100 milliseconds for data.  This leads to a lot of lag in updates.

The correct thing to do is to get an interrupt or callback that is
activated when network data is available.  This is what the other
clients do (although it is possible that the underlying libraries just
do polling, we would hope not).  However, in my brief research I don't
see how to do this with SDL.  Is it possible that this functionality is
not portable?  How could anyone ever program on a system that didn't
provide this?

jason