[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2957) is ocean as a function with oceanness read f

To: kayeats@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2957) is ocean as a function with oceanness read from ruleset
From: "Raimar Falke via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 13:29:14 -0800

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 06:55:01PM -0800, Karen Yeats via RT wrote:

> This is almost a patch to make is_ocean and company into functions where
> the property of a terrain type being a sort of ocean is read from the
> ruleset.
>
> The problem is that I am not super familiar with the nitty gritty of
> making different files talk to each other and consequently I haven't
> been able to find where I need to put the new dependancies which I
> introduce (many more files now need to be able to use functions from
> map.c).  I see that at compile time the files in the .deps directories
> are made, and these seem to contain the stuff in question, but I don't
> see where they are reading their information from.  Could someone please
> enlighten me?
>
> I attach the patch anyway for anyone who wishes to see what I have in mind.

I have some problems with this patch. Or more general with the idea
behind it. First question is: what is the goal of this change. IMHO it
is useless if this change is standalone. At least mapgen support for
this change is needed. However if you add mapgen support for this
flexibility you also have to add IMHO this flexibility for other stuff
like "is_near_pole_terrain" and so on.

mapgen is indeed the central problem here. It depends/will depend on a
lot of things (iso/non-iso map, number of players, terrain ruleset
(with your change), generator, ...). What should a mapgen look like if
it is this flexible? Is this possible after all? What will be
interface look like. IMHO it is almost impossible to get the mapgen
this general and still have a manageable chunk of code. And even if
this is coded I think that the inferface will be very complex (20-30
options).

Without any goal which lies behind the next patch I object this
change. Please tell me what you have in mind. Tell us your vision what
the map(gen) interface should look like.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot."