[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3357) Re: Re: suggestion: myth about freeciv

To: andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3357) Re: Re: suggestion: myth about freeciv
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:59:26 -0800

[andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Sun Feb  9 08:50:02 2003]:

> I've updated the patch so it can get the introtext from a string
> (making
> it possible to add ruleset-reading).
> The patch requires introstory.png (rename myth.png from myth.tar.bz2
> in
> /incoming)

The problem with this patch, AFAICT, is that it fragments behavior under
the different clients.  If you're going to do this, at least write the
code for a progressive client like the gtk2 client.

But, what I'd really like to see (now that we get down to it) is a
situation where many behaviors (for the intro screen) are possible,
working under all clients, and specified by the tileset.

The current behavior should be one such 'possible behavior'.

Some weeks ago, a new intro dialog PNG was provided by Nir Peled
(Techdeck on irc).  The problem with this was that it requires code
changes to make the intro text ("'Cause civilization should be free")
white instead of blue and to move them.  It should be possible to
specify all this from the tileset, but currently it isn't.

My proposed system would have the tileset specify:

* The intro graphic to use.
* Whether to scale the graphic or center it (with a larger intro
graphic, it can just be centered and will look better, even as the
window size changes).
* What intro text to use (translatable).
* Where to place the intro text, and what color to make it.
* Or alternately, information on scrolling the text.

But implementing this for all GUIs - or at least so that each GUI
doesn't completely break as the tileset options change - is not trivial.

jason