[Freeciv-Dev] Re: drawing code

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: drawing code
From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:52:18 -0500

Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Changing the drawing system to not draw on a per-position basis is a
> _very_ deep change.  It is needed to be able to use a civ3 tileset.  It
> will be difficult or impossible to do before this drawing code is moved
> out of the GUI code.

On the other hand, I've spent the last two hours looking at what it would
take to implement real offsets within the present position-based system.
It doesn't look very hard.  I might have some results to show in another hour.

I spent most of those two hours, by the way, discovering that defining a
new layer of structure for this leads to a very large, ugly, intrusive
patch with a lot of noise in the diffs.  I'm now experimenting with
a set_sprite_offset() mutator, one instance per GUI, that sets offset
fields in the opaque sprite structure.  This looks much nicer.

> Changing the drawing for nuke animations is probably a rather simple
> matter.  I was thinking of moving this code into the common-client code
> as well, with only a draw_animation_frame() left in the GUI part.  This
> change should be relatively independent of the core drawing code cleanups.

I'm in favor.  Anything that will let us get rid of the composite nuke
sprites will simplify my life considerably.