[Freeciv-Dev] drawing code

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] drawing code
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 17:32:28 -0500

from a private conversation...

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Again, these are completely separate parts of the code. The core drawing code will not handle anything except drawing one position at a time. But the animations are drawn on top of everything already there and shouldn't get overwritten.

The rail/road corner sprites issue, on the other hand, IS affected by this drawing design and will be very difficult to change.

Thanks, these are both good things to know.  Would it be efficient
for me to look into this further now, or are these premises likely
to change during the draw-code reorganization?

Changing the drawing system to not draw on a per-position basis is a _very_ deep change. It is needed to be able to use a civ3 tileset. It will be difficult or impossible to do before this drawing code is moved out of the GUI code.

Changing the drawing for nuke animations is probably a rather simple matter. I was thinking of moving this code into the common-client code as well, with only a draw_animation_frame() left in the GUI part. This change should be relatively independent of the core drawing code cleanups.

jason