[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view
From: "Mike Kaufman via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 09:54:54 -0800

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 08:52:17AM -0800, Davide Pagnin via RT wrote:

> Are you going to make those changes to the patch?

The problem here is that after finishing the patch, I started testing it.
The problem with testing it is that I found that the problem is _far_ more
complex than I had originally believed. I'm still thinking about the proper
solution, and rethinking the entire concept now that you bring up your
points...

> Critical situation 2:
> Player A is the owner of city X, player B is the owner of city Y.
> They both reside in the same huge pangaea continent, but they are not
> aware of where they are.
> Player A, do a sea Exploration and reach the other side of the continent
> (but he ignores that it is the same continent).
> At that point he discover city Y, owned by player B, and he create a
> trade route between the city X and city Y.
> At this point, nor A and neither B, knows that city X and city Y are on
> the same continent.
> BUT, for CMA compliance, it is nevertheless needed that both A and B are
> informed that city X and city Y are on the same continent!
> Then you need to change your trade route establishment check, instead of
> looking if plrtile are known, you have to check if servertile are on the
> same island, and then inform the involved players.

this is _not_ true. If neither player realizes that they are on the same
continent, then the two cities won't be on the same continent. You do bring
up an good point though. _When_ one player discovers that both are on the
same continent, the other player will have to be notified. This is starting
to be complicated (maybe too complicated).

> I do agree with Raimar also on the fact that changing continent
> numbering from unsigned to signed, isn't needed nor is a good idea.
> If we ever want to check if two "ocean" continent are the same

hmm.

> My 2 cents are to just do as better as we can, in the first attempt,
> with particular care to resolve the CMA conflicts situations.
> Afterwords we can address the "not optimality" of the
> renumbering/recycling problems, both on server and on client.

no. as I have found, not thinking about the extenuating circumstances would
have caused two major rewrites already.

-mike