Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: LXR

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: LXR
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:58:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Reinier Post wrote:
> > > well, 1.15.0-devel, either that or 1.14.99-devel
> >
> > I think we agreed one sunny day that it shouldn't have a version number at
> > all, it should merely be CVS+date. It turned out to be more difficult done
> > than said, though, so nobody has implemented it yet. 1.14.99-devel isn't a
> > bad idea, either.
>
> What is the difficulty?It can't be that hard to replace one version string
> with another ... does anything rely on them being numbers?

The difficulty lies in updating the version string every day. Certainly,
__DATE__ would do that, but how do you force a recompile of
common/version.h and not everything else for every recompile?

Also, configure.in and configure.ac would need the same info. That can be
fixed by reading the output of a small C-compilation test, though.

  - Per