Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1824) Re: Re: (PR#2743) Blank messages and bad pac

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jrg45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kenn.Munro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1824) Re: Re: (PR#2743) Blank messages and bad packet strings
From: "Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:55:57 -0800

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Jason Short via RT wrote:

> Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:17:02PM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> >
> >>Raimar Falke wrote:

> > I ask another time: Is unicode the best solution? Why don't we use it?
>
> Unicode isn't "the solution".  "The solution" is converting from the
> charset the strings are in into the local charset.
>
> Putting the charsets into unicode may be part of the solution.  But
> without the other part, this will keep the same problem but reverse who
> sees it (i.e., everyone who currently sees accented characters will see
> garbage, and most people who currently see garbage will see accented
> characters).
>
> The system is further complicated because client and server may have
> different charsets.  Here the solution may be to put all
> charset-dependent strings into unicode.

Why don't we just having a Unicode locale a requirement to run Freeciv?

We'll lose a bit of portability but at least Windows and recent Linux
versions have it. :-)

Porting the Xaw, GTK+ 1.2 and Windows clients will be a challenge.
Amiga is probably hopeless.

That way you may even have city names in Japanese if you want to.

... or we just stick with ASCII and use translations of the city names to
the English names. Suits me fine.

---