Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1824) Re: Re: (PR#2743) Blank messages and bad pac

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1824) Re: Re: (PR#2743) Blank messages and bad packet strings
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:14:46 +0000 (WET)

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Ben Webb via RT wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 07:55:57PM -0800, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa via
> RT wrote:

> What about a utf8 capability? That would ensure codeset compatibility
> between client and server; text strings are simply converted to and from
> UTF-8 when they go across the network. (Ideally the server and clients
> would use UTF-8 internally anyway, eliminating the need for any
> conversion - although a validity check should be used to avoid confusing
> libraries like GTK+.) If the capability is not shared, then the server
> can just send all data in its own locale's codeset (as is done
> currently) and you can hope for the best...
>
> Ruleset files can be either explicitly marked with a codeset (as is done
> for .po files) or written in UTF-8.

UTF-8 makes sense for I/O in comms and for disk storage. Text output to
console and the GUI for e.g. should be in the locale codeset.

But is it not a pain to use internally? For e.g. you will need some string
manipulation functions. You cannot rely on the standard C library for this
so you will have to implement these yourself. How have you handled this in
your projects?

---