[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2464) patch: restrict techs by nation

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2464) patch: restrict techs by nation
From: "Raimar Falke via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:52:40 -0800

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 07:44:22AM -0800, Gregory Berkolaiko via RT wrote:

> Sorry if I gatecrush the discussion without really understandiing who
> proposes what, but I thought that it'd be simpler to have, instead of
> nation_req, a root_req.
>
> This root_req would be the tech (like Fire of Morgoth) which sits in the
> origin of one of the separate trees.  Knowledge of this root_tech would be
> required not only for the research but also for the transfer by theft or
> gift or conquest.  Effectively Per's function is_tech_available (which I
> would rename into is_tech_accessible) will check not for the name or ID of
> the player, but whether player has the root_req of this tech.
>
> Then, for example, Uruk-Hai tech would have
> req1 = Genetical Engineering
> req2 = Stem Cells
> root_req = Fire of Morgoth
>
> The advantage is that if you want to add another nation which has access
> to a tech tree, you don't have to add the nation name to each tech.  Just
> give the nation Fire of Morgoth, that's all.
>
> Obviously the root tech has to have itself as a root_req, so it is not
> transferable in the first place.  So Fire of Morgoth will be
> req1 = Fire of Morgoth  /* Non-researchable */
> req2 =
> root_req = Fire of Morgoth  /* Non-transferable */

Also nice. But do you plan to stick this root_req to every tech which
needs it? IMHO Fire of Morgoth should be required by Genetical
Engineering or Stem Cells directly or directly as a normal
requirement. If this is so it is IMHO superfluous to specify Fire of
Morgoth as a root_req for Uruk-Hai. If this isn't the case Fire of
Morgoth is not more than a flag. A nice flag which can be set by
initial_tech but a flag nonetheless.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "That's fundamental game play!  My main enemy is *ALWAYS* fighting