[Freeciv-Dev] Re: different iso drawing algorithms

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: different iso drawing algorithms
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Dec 2002 19:44:39 -0500

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 18:20, Rafa³ Bursig wrote:
> Dnia 2002.12.11 21:04 Jason Short napisa³(a):
> > On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 05:16, Jason Short wrote:
> >
> > > So, the question becomes: which system is better?  Should we support
> > > just one of them, or try to support both?
> >
> > The tricky buffered drawing system requires slightly more GUI code to
> > do
> > the buffering.  A disadvantage is that it can only draw
> > iso-rectangles.
> > So if we update a 1x1 area we're fine.  But if we draw a 2x1 rectangle
> > (as sometimes happens) we have to draw a couple of extra tiles.  If we
> > redraw the entire mapview, then the current algorithm ends up
> > iterating
> > over 4x as many tiles as are necessary - but this inefficiency can be
> > eliminated with a better algorithm.
> >
> Here is some code that make SDLClient compatible with new unification
> of update_map_canvas.

Note that update_map_canvas() hasn't been unified yet (because of the
drawing algorithm differences).  Nor has one of the drawing algorithms
been chosen yet...

> I made here some try to speed up draw full screen map.
>
> I think that we should make dedicatet funct. to draw one tile, full map
> , etc not one unificated function to draw all cases.

I think you are not looking far enough ahead.  IMO the drawing
primitives the GUI provides should be lower-level than that.  But one
step at a time...

jason