[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2374) multi-language client-server patch

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2374) multi-language client-server patch
From: "mateusz stefek via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:29:17 -0800

Dnia 2002.11.22 11:11 Raimar Falke via RT napisa³(a):

> > > Have you looked at Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@xxxxxxxxx> proposal
> > > from "Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:42:15 +0100" under the subject
> > > "[Freeciv-Dev] Client Side Translation"?
> >
> > I didn't know about it.
> > >
> > > His proposal didn't need to change the format string. So why do
> you
> > > need it? In what ways is your system better?
> >

> > I'm not sure, but the first version of his patch translates city and
> > players names, so the new format is needed.
>
> Because player names and city names can be the same?

No, it __shouldnt be translated (what if i call my city "Phalanx"?))

> > - My patch sends units, improvements, technology by it's id.
> > So the server doesn't need to remember translated form anymore
> > (It will be removed with old notify system)
>
> This would also be the case in the final source version of Michael's
> approach is taken.

Where can I download it?

> > - Support for plural forms
>
> Ok.
>
> > - get_location_str* is called on client side.
>
> Advantage?
Ok I thought about it, there's no advantage.
When client receives message "something has happen near city X".
We are sure that we know where city X is.
But it is already implemented in server.

--
mateusz