[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Network bandwidth, and other things.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Network bandwidth, and other things.
From: Todd Goodman <tsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:15:42 -0500

* Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx> [021110 12:08]:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 11:45:56AM -0500, Todd Goodman wrote:
> > * Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx> [021109 04:34]:
> > > BTW: Heard of this new multi-streamed protocol?
> > >
> > > Christian
> >
> > Do you mean SCTP?
>
> Yes, think so. Is it good?
>
> Christian

It's still pretty new, but I think it looks promising.

The multi-home capabilities are probably a bit much for Freeciv.

I think we'd need to discuss further just what the issues are that we
have with TCP.

Having multiple streams that don't block each other might or might not be
beneficial (depending on the networking design.)

And it has built in heartbeats so you don't need to concern yourself
with pinging (heartbeats only if no other traffic so they don't take up
bandwidth if other traffic is being transmitted.)

Of course the support for SCTP isn't nearly as ubiquitous as TCP/UDP at
this point.

Todd