[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Question: Anyone Having Problems Accessing CVS?

To: rp@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Question: Anyone Having Problems Accessing CVS?
From: Robert Alan Byer <byer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:47:06 -0500

>> Over the past day I've been having a hard time accessing the Freeciv and
>> Freeciv v1.14 CVS trees.
>>
>> Anyone having problems?
>
>Yes, others have reported the same problem.  Can you (or anyone else)
>try to find out the first time when this happened?  (We want to find
>out which change may have caused it.)

I believe the last time I used CVS that was working was about two weeks ago.

>> I'm trying to update so I can make a diff with my changes for OpenVMS and
>> both trees hang on the same file.  I've even completely deleted the trees
>> from my system (after saving my changes elsewhere) and still it hangs.
>>
>> It's hanging on the VMS_BUILD.COM file, which of course I need to diff
>> agianst since that's where most of my changes are.
>
>vms/vms_build.com happens to be the very last file.
>The cvs connection actually hangs after completing its task.
>Your checkout is fine, it just doesn't release the connection.

Ahhh.......

>I do not have this problem myself; I can check out the freeciv tree
>with pserver and it completes normally:
>
>cvs server: Updating freeciv/vms
>U freeciv/vms/.cvsignore
>U freeciv/vms/config.h_vms
>U freeciv/vms/freeciv_h.vms
>U freeciv/vms/imlib_config.h_vms
>U freeciv/vms/readme.vms
>U freeciv/vms/vms_build.com
>0.71u 1.80s 6:56.47 0.6%
>
>So there must be a subtle interaction between the client and server
>side.  Which CVS version are you using?  The server has been 1.11.0
>for a while and is 1.11.2 now.  Perhaps
>
>http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/382/2002/8/0/9468304/
>
>is related?  (Does it happen without -z3?)
>
>When I run cvs -t I get
>
>cvs update: dying gasps from cvs.freeciv.org unexpected
>
>een though there is no hang for me.  What does cvs -t report for you?

I'm using CVS v1.11 on OpenVMS since it's the only available version for
OpenVMS available.

When I run CVS with "-t" I the following at the VMS_BUILD.COM file...

S-> Reader_Lock(/home/freeciv/CVS/freeciv/vms)
S-> Lock_Cleanup()
S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)

And it just hangs there.  It dosen't matter if I use compression or not, I
get the same result.

 | Robert Alan Byer | byer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | ICQ #65926579 |
 | Send an E-mail request to obtain a copy of my PGP key.      |
 | "It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by |
 |  cans of cola the thoughts aquire speed, the hands acquire  |
 |  shakes, the shakes become a warning.  It is by caffeine    |
 |  alone I set my mind in motion."                            |