[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Question: Anyone Having Problems Accessing CVS?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Question: Anyone Having Problems Accessing CVS?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:42:07 +0100

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:10:49PM -0500, Robert Alan Byer wrote:

> Over the past day I've been having a hard time accessing the Freeciv and
> Freeciv v1.14 CVS trees.
>
> Anyone having problems?

Yes, others have reported the same problem.  Can you (or anyone else)
try to find out the first time when this happened?  (We want to find
out which change may have caused it.)

> I'm trying to update so I can make a diff with my changes for OpenVMS and
> both trees hang on the same file.  I've even completely deleted the trees
> from my system (after saving my changes elsewhere) and still it hangs.
>
> It's hanging on the VMS_BUILD.COM file, which of course I need to diff
> agianst since that's where most of my changes are.

vms/vms_build.com happens to be the very last file.
The cvs connection actually hangs after completing its task.
Your checkout is fine, it just doesn't release the connection.

I do not have this problem myself; I can check out the freeciv tree
with pserver and it completes normally:

cvs server: Updating freeciv/vms
U freeciv/vms/.cvsignore
U freeciv/vms/config.h_vms
U freeciv/vms/freeciv_h.vms
U freeciv/vms/imlib_config.h_vms
U freeciv/vms/readme.vms
U freeciv/vms/vms_build.com
0.71u 1.80s 6:56.47 0.6%

So there must be a subtle interaction between the client and server
side.  Which CVS version are you using?  The server has been 1.11.0
for a while and is 1.11.2 now.  Perhaps

  http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/382/2002/8/0/9468304/

is related?  (Does it happen without -z3?)

When I run cvs -t I get

  cvs update: dying gasps from cvs.freeciv.org unexpected

een though there is no hang for me.  What does cvs -t report for you?

--
Reinier