[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Network bandwidth, and other things.

Cc: Juan Uriarte <s_uriart@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Network bandwidth, and other things.
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 15:43:14 -0500

Raimar Falke wrote:
On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 11:05:16AM +0100, Juan Uriarte wrote:

I didn't looked at the patch. Now looking in the current patch I see
that we both had indead the same idea. I avoided zlib compression till
now since I thing it can be done on top of the deltas
transparently.

This is what is implemented. All 6 features (zlib and 5 new packet types)
are optional and indepent, backward compatibility is a goal.

If we implement delta we should implement it in all packets. So
backward compatibility isn't a goal for my patch.

Why shouldn't backward compatability be a goal? Shouldn't it be a simple matter to check capabilities before taking the delta of the packet?

jason