[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Network bandwidth, and other things.

To: Juan Uriarte <s_uriart@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Network bandwidth, and other things.
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:55:30 +0100

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 08:06:02AM +0100, Juan Uriarte wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  seems Per/Raimar are psychics. After reading Rainar's his last post on
> network bandwidth it looks like he's hacked my computer ;-)
>
> diff.compress11++ on ftp.freeciv.org/.../incoming  contains what I call
> caching and he calls 'sending deltas' for the most sent packet types.
> An updated zlib compression of the tcp stream is included. Please, read
> the README in the patch. It is for a  CVS of around a week ago, I dont
> have internet at home, so I suck cvs and send this email at the same time.
> Results seem promissing (14kbytes/update, instead of 100+ for some
> scenarios). It is not fully debugged, CMA still crashes (usually when
> starting a revolution).

I read your previous posts and thought "another one who implemented
zlib compression for the TCP stream and failed to provide numbers". So
I didn't looked at the patch. Now looking in the current patch I see
that we both had indead the same idea. I avoided zlib compression till
now since I thing it can be done on top of the deltas
transparently. Also till now I didn't know a good way to merge the
packets in chunks (to yield better compression ratio). Using
PACKET_PROCESSING_{STARTED,FINISHED} is nice. Per will be pleased that
you produced a patch which only needs the cpp. Let me finish my delta2
and than we can compare features, performance and elegance.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 1 + 1 = 3, for large values of 1