[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Network bandwidth, and other things.

To: Juan Uriarte <s_uriart@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Network bandwidth, and other things.
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 05:38:38 -0500

Juan Uriarte wrote:
Hello,

Hi!

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

I read your previous posts and thought "another one who implemented
zlib compression for the TCP stream and failed to provide numbers". So

 Numbers are provided after each read(2) chunk (running with -d 2) and
on the server console when a player disconnects. Typical compression
is less than 50% of the original size (between 30-40 in my experience),
around 20% for dead players.

The question isn't whether zlib compresses the data - this much is obvious. The question is whether it makes FreeCiv faster.

As always, it is a tradeoff that will have different benefits depending on the situation. On a fast computer with a slow connection it is a good thing, whereas with a slow computer on a fast connection it is bad. The question is: *how* slow, and *how* fast?

If we make it an option, then we don't have to worry too much about the bad cases. But there should still be numbers (or at least anecdotes) to show that the compression makes things better for *somebody*. I'm not sure how you would get these numbers, but simply looking at packet size won't do it.

jason