Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: unused code (PR#2146)

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Bugs/Patch Tracking <bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unused code (PR#2146)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 03:19:55 -0700

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 04:05:04PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 02:21:24PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > > Good work, Sylvain!
> > >
> > > I made a patch to implement your comments.  Please check if it's alright.
> > >
> > > You are very much encouraged not only to spot bugs (which you are very
> > > good at), but to submit fixes for them.  In case you do not understand
> > > what I am talking about, please have a look at
> > >   http://www.freeciv.org/contribute.html
> >
> > We have other cases where parameter of functions aren't used. Splint
> > and gcc will give you a full list of all the cases. Removing isn't the
> > only option. The other changes are ok.
>
> What do you mean by "removing isn't the only option"?

Both gcc and splint offer ways to specify that the parameter is
unused. In some cases it is needed because you have to implement a
certain function prototype.

> What is the general policy on that, let it stay this way?

There no general policy (yet). I will try to create a list with splint
so that we know about what are we discussing.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx