Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Path-finding in the presence of danger

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Path-finding in the presence of danger
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:00:09 +0100 (BST)

Raimar,

You answered this question already but I cannot find it in the archives.
So please explain again.  In path_finding_macro in expand() you set up two
maps.  What are they for?

It seems one is to find positions reachable within one turn and the second
is to find the path leading to them but also taking into account the
extra_cost and COP?

BTW, I have serious reason to believe that it will be _very_ difficult to
find the best micro-path using extra_cost and COP.  I am pretty sure your
algorithm will also fail to do it in one way or other, but I will need to
understand it more, so please help me here.

It is still possible to take into account the extra cost of the
non-dangerous tiles.  This does make certain sense: you are not going to
stop at the dangerous tiles, so it does not matter whether they are nice
or not.

G.