Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: city_incite_cost

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: city_incite_cost
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:54:24 +0200

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 04:04:29PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Thomas Strub wrote:
> > this is a new version of city_incite_cost.
>
> This is a version that is cleaned up a bit and has the following changes:
>  - Removed my diplomat patch which was previously posted (one thing at a
>    time, please)

Sorry i was in hurry ...

>  - Supported units don't cost extra: some units do not have upkeep, and
>    are thus not in the list of supported units, they would go cheaper
>    as defenders in the previous patch, which is bad. Also, ingame
>    it is always (correctly) assumed that units away from home cause
>    unhappiness, and unhappiness is the reason for incitement in the first
>    place

Units are _very_ cheap in the current solution. Buildings are ok. But a
little bit cheap too.

>  - Courthose now has double effectiveness (distance divided by four)

Ok.

>  - Celebrating cities cannot be incited

I don't like that, in Anarchy cities aren't bribeable. Think its should
be (city_celebrating(pcity)) && g->index !=
game.government_when_anarchy)

>  - All values now multiplied by happy/unhappy adjusted size and divided
>    by adjusted distance
>  - Happiness very very important to increase incite cost, as this both
>    doubles cost _and_ increases/decreases size multiplicator
>  - Very large cities are now very hard to incite, while small cities far
>    away from capital still come at a bargain
>  - It is now more important to know where the enemy's capital is. This may
>    be bad.
>  - City improvements are much more important to increase city prices than
>    units. This is intentional and anti-ICS.
>  - Angry citizens bring the price of cities down to insane cheapness :)
>  - Unhappy cities or cities during anarchy go very cheap as well

Wrong, cities second round in Anarchy are now unbribeable ...

>  - On average I think prices went up by 2x... maybe too much?

The x2 is ok. But the factor isn't to much dependent from buildings and
units in the city.