Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: city_incite_cost

To: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: city_incite_cost
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:13:37 +0000 (GMT)

On 30 Sep 2002, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> Anyway, as a general suggestion, I propose to have incite/bribing rules
> put in the same file/function, so that we can modify them as wanted and
> without having to change other places in the code.

The effectiveness of Courthouse should be indicated in buildings.ruleset
once we have impr gen, and the whether celebrating should stop incitement
could be in governments ruleset, but other than that I not sure what or
how to rulesetify.

> >- Courthose now has double effectiveness (distance divided by four)
>
> Per, perhaps you don't remember, but in a post about such (more ore
> less) topics about the courthouse you replied to me:
>
> "Gen. impr. should be extended to implement both cases. That way neither
> aproach will be hardcoded and civ2 can have it its way in the civ2
> ruleset. And we can fight about what should be the default afterwards
> ;)"

That was about a different property of Courthouse - whether corruption
should be capped at gold income before halving (thus guarantee at least
50% income) or not (making it theoretically possible to have 100%
corruption even after building Courthouse).

My response was that both these options should be supported in impr gen.

I also think that impr gen should make it possible to specify by how much
Courthouse divides distance from your capital.

> >- Celebrating cities cannot be incited
>
> Doubling the cost of a celebrating city, should be enough.
> Not incitable cities is a gift of democracy, why you want to help other
> governments?

Good point. Need to think about this :)

> >- All values now multiplied by happy/unhappy adjusted size and divided
> >  by adjusted distance
>
> I've to read the code to understand what 'adjusted' means in this case,
> anyway I hope that all modifier for distance/fixed distance, proper of
> government.ruleset are considered.

Yes.

> >- Happiness very very important to increase incite cost, as this both
> > doubles cost _and_ increases/decreases size multiplicator
>
> If a factor, is considere *many* times, isn't a good choice, IMHO.

They are actually two different factors:
 - whether the _city_ is happy
 - how many _citizens_ are happy/unhappy/angry

> >- Angry citizens bring the price of cities down to insane cheapness :)
>
> Well, angry citizens counts normally as 2 unhappy, why in this case they
> should be considered differently? (are they?)

They are counted as 3 now. No good reason why 3, it just seemed to give
very interesting results :)

> I would like *VERY MUCH* if all this 'new' parameters, to be considered
> in the incite cost, can be tuned by a 'ruleset' file, this way we can
> play the number easily to found a reasonable default AND we give modpack
> writers the opportunity to use different settings.
>
> (Not to say that I hope to maintain civ II compatibility, for the civ2
> ruleset, in this particular topic...)

Maintaining exact civ2 compatibility will be impossible without two
different city_incite_cost() functions, but an approximation should be
possible using rulesets. (Do we even know the exact civ2 algorithm?)

> > Please give it a try.
>
> Scheduled. (There are other patches, though, so I'll ask to wait and
> discuss on what to do, before going further on development)

This patch isn't going in (or anywhere) any time soon. I'm going to give
priority to the release.

  - Per