Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: some Suggestions/Ideas...

To: Nick Gravgaard <nickwkg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: some Suggestions/Ideas...
From: "Anthony J. Stuckey" <astuckey@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:21:50 -0500

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 01:44:19PM -0700, Nick Gravgaard wrote:
> Hi
> I can't believe it took me so long to start playing FreeCiv since I've been
> playing Civ and Civ II since they came out... Great job!
>
> OK, here's a few suggestions/ideas:
>
> * The ability to play beyond the year 2000 (as in the original Civilization)

        Already possible.  Set Endyear to whatever you want, you're just not
prompted for it at endgame.

> * The ability to determine the type of planet (as in the original
> Civilization) and map size. Wouldn't it be nice if you could choose to
> play on a planet with lots of small islands or one big landmass?

        Already possible, through different means.  Set the land percentage,
desert percentage, etc, to whatever you want.  Also, the various map
generators already generate "single large continent" or "lots of tiny
islands" style maps.

> * The introduction of "void" or "wall" squares over which no unit may pass.
> Imagine if I want to play on a map of Europe. A plane flying east of Russia
> should not wrap around to end up in the Atlantic to the west of the British
> isles. To prevent this sort of wrap around, the left and right hand sides of
> the map could be bordered by "void" or "wall" squares (mapwidth +1 != 0)

        Flat-Earth and other map styles are already being worked on.

> * The replay map that animates the players zones of control from the start to
> the end of the game (as in the original Civilization)

        This has been suggested before.

> * The ability to choose the nations of the computer players

        When did you ever have this?

> * When a capital is invaded the rebel nation is of historical significance, ie
> if Indias capital is invaded Pakistan could be the rebel nation or when
> Denmark is invaded, Iceland are the rebels

        Amusing.