Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: some Suggestions/Ideas...

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxx>, Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: some Suggestions/Ideas...
From: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:31:56 -0400

 Gregory Berkolaiko [11/09/2002 08:31] dijo/said:
>On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Miguel Farah wrote:
>
>>  Gregory Berkolaiko [10/09/2002 11:18] dijo/said:
>> >[....]

>> >But this is already possible in freeciv.
>> >Start server, type
>> >
>> >create Caesar
>> >create Gandhi
>> >start
>> >
>> >and you get

>> >2: AI is controlling the Romans ruled by Caesar.
>> >2: AI is controlling the Indians ruled by Gandhi.
>> >
>> >You have to know the exact names of the nation's leaders though.
>>
>> So how about modifying the create command to accept an optional nation?
>>
>> create Garfield american
>> create Siculo roman
>>
>> (etc)
>
>It's too much bother, by me.  First of all, the names can contain
>whitespace: "Alfonso X", "Fernando V", "Isabel I".  Secondly, if one

So we'll use quotes in those cases. Actually, I wanted to put

create "Lucio Marineo Siculo" roman

, but lost my mind for a minute and forgot to write it.

>really so wants to play against Garfield-american or Asterix-french, then
>you can always add him/her to the nation's ruleset.

But it DOES solve the problem of wanting to play against a particular
nation and not having to remember a name.

Other solution would be

create any roman

where "any" is a keyword that tells the server to choose a name from the
roman ruleset.