Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Cleanup of scorelog generation/new scorelog fo

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Cleanup of scorelog generation/new scorelog format (PR#1967)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:18:02 +0200

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:33:30PM -0700, Raimar Falke wrote:

> The attached fixes three know problems of the scorelog format:
>  - there is no way to add players during a game
>  - there is no way to match a scorelog to a savegame
>  - the format uses years instead of turns

Just looking at the code, this looks like a vast improvement.
Questions:

  - isn't it better to put the comment text in a separate file,
    perhaps in data/ ?
    that way, it's easier to add translation, I think
  - do you still match by year in a savegame?
  - the "data" keyword seems superfluous to me, it makes the file
    much bigger - generally speaking the format is very redundant;
    for people with small disks it may be better do be a little more
    space efficient
  - I'd prefer "player" to "addplayer": that would still be correct
    if player renaming is ever implemented

[...]
>    turn 1 -3951 3951 v.Chr.

What kind of calendar code does this assume?  Should it even be in?
(The "human readable" year name is locale specific.)

It would be nice to have a standalone sav2scorelog utility distributed
with the code.

> About the patch: pretty straightforward. Note that I have removed the
> ability to read the old scorelogs.

In that case we must provide a conversion script.

> To show that this isn't a paper project I have update civlog
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/civlog/) (version 0.6.3 to be
> precise) to also read the new format. The modified version is
> available at
> ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/civlog-0.6.3-mod.tar.gz. If the
> patch is included in the freeciv tree I will release a new version
> 0.6.4 of civlog.

I will test this.

--
Reinier