Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Forking of a stable branch of freeciv

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Forking of a stable branch of freeciv
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Aug 2002 15:33:58 +0200

        Hi all!

I have already proposed this and small (or none) interest have been
demonstrated to adopting such a policy.

The proposal is to maintain a stable branch of freeciv CVS tree:
(at the moment in the cvs you'll found the stable code, if you
give the R1.13.0 tag to cvs update command)

Backporting fixes to stable code is obviously difficult, if you have to
do it in after 2 month of development, and moreover not every bug can be
fixed in an easy way, and moreover new bugs can be introduced by patches
for old ones.

Thus qualifying if a fix is good for the stable code isn't the same as
evaluating it for cvs inclusion.

IMHO, a good patch for the stable branch, solve the problem touching as
less code as possible, we are trying to have the stable code as
possible, instead a good patch for the development branch, solve the
problem and the best 'long-term' way, and if new bugs are found cause by
this, they can be easily solved during development.

Anyway, just to demonstrate what a 'maintenance' release, at this point,
would be for the 1.13.0 release, I've backported some the bugfix that
you can found in the CVS and added some 'hotfix' for known issues.

You'll found the file as:
ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/freeciv-1.13.0-pl1.tar.bz2

I have uploaded the fully patched version, because the goal is to not
bother people with patching the tree code.

Full information of relevant changes.txt entries backported and to
hotfixes applied can be found inside the tar file.

        Ciao, Davide