[Freeciv-Dev] Next stable release RFC: Setting a release date target

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Next stable release RFC: Setting a release date target
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jun 2002 16:43:29 +0200

        Hi all!

I think that time has come to start talking seriously about setting a
*REAL* release date target.

As for now, we had 2 beta's (1.12.2 and 1.12.4), and a lot of bug fixes
has been done (And, sadly, more are to do...)

The wait for a "bug free time" is unrealistic IMHO, and so, we have to
target a "criticial bug free time".

I also propose to set a calendar for the next stable release (1.13.0)
and try to pursue such a goal.

The proposed calendar:

30th June: 1.12.6 beta
7th July: 1.12.8 final (Hopefully) beta
14th July: 1.13.0 stable (Hopefully)

Some notes on this calendar:

1. If any *CRITICAL* bug is found between 1.12.6 and 1.12.8, the final
beta is moved to the next week, and another beta is issued. During
normal beta time, every bugfix can be applied.

2. During final beta time, only *CRITICAL* bug may be applied, and for
other stuff, only "version" related doc and translation, may be
committed.

3. If a *CRITICAL* bug is found during final beta time, another final
beta must be issued, until the final beta matches with the stable
release (NOTE: this means a 2 week spot free from *CRITICAL* bugs).

4. A bug is said *CRITICAL* if a simple majority consensus is found
between the maintainers. (Perhaps such a bug class, has to be opened in
the jitterbug database)

Please, post comment...

        Ciao, Davide