[Freeciv-Dev] Re: main map have gtk1.2 font problem (i18n) (PR#1606)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: main map have gtk1.2 font problem (i18n) (PR#1606)
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:02:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, SAWADA Katsuya wrote:

> OS: Debian GNU/Linux woody + sid (i386)
> libgtk1.2 1.2.10
> LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
>
> After I send mail about connection dialog, I found another font problem.
>
> I can't read freeciv_motto, "'Cause civilization should be free!" on
> main graphic in Japanese. First, I checked graphics.c/load_intro_gfx,
> and found main_font has problem. main_font is currently font, but we
> need fontset. Because Japanese use not only ascii character set, but
> also use jisx0208.
>

> I amn't using gtk-2.0 nor xaw, so I don't know whether they have or
> not.

The GTK+ 2.0 client should work fine since it uses Pango and Unicode but,
as you noticed, I hacked that code a bit so the error messages will be wrong.
I also hardcoded the fonts in the code, which is never good, but as Sans
and Serif are guaranteed to exist that should be ok.

Looking at how GDK does things I suspect your patch will not work with the
Xaw client. gdk_font_load calls XLoadQueryFont. gdk_fontset_load calls
XCreateFontSet and XFontsOfFontSet.

I still think storing font names in the tilesets is annoying. Fonts are
one of the things that vary the most across different platforms. It makes
tilesets unportable.
This is why some portable libraries like GLUT include their own fonts and
do all the job of rendering fonts by themselves.

---