[Freeciv-Dev] Re: main map have gtk1.2 font problem (i18n) (PR#1606)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: main map have gtk1.2 font problem (i18n) (PR#1606)
From: SAWADA Katsuya <ama@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:15:25 +0900

Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, SAWADA Katsuya wrote:
>> I compiled client with GTK+ 2.0, and tested the client.
>> I couldn't read messages in japanese expect GTK+ 2.0 themselevs
>> messages "_Quit" and "_Jump to" on connection dialog.
>>
>> I executed civclient with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8, then it works good.  Now I
>> can read Japanese message on the dialog. But, client also output UTF-8
>> character to terminal emulator. It is not important to read console
>> message, but problem.
>
> There are versions of XTerm that support UTF-8:
> <http://dickey.his.com/xterm/>
> <http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/xterm.html>

I know there are terminals that support UTF-8. I can change my
terminal but I guess people don't want to install UTF-8 terminal for
playing Freeciv.

> I will try to make the client work with EUC-JP. Could you please post a
> screenshot of how the client looks with the EUC-JP locale somewhere?
Thank you. I put
ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/screenshot-i18n-problem.tar.gz

include:
filename                                    Can I read?
lang-eucjp-1.png             Terminal       yes
lang-eucjp-2.png             Dialog         no
lang-eucjp-3.png             Main map       no
lang-utf8-1.png              Terminal       no
lang-utf8-2.png              Dialog         yes
lang-utf8-3.png              Main map       yes(except message window)
lang-utf8-with-u8term-1.png  UTF8_Terminal  yes

I tried locale are:
LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

--