[Freeciv-Dev] Re: main map have gtk1.2 font problem (i18n) (PR#1606)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: main map have gtk1.2 font problem (i18n) (PR#1606)
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 03:14:04PM -0700, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, SAWADA Katsuya wrote:
> > First model do translate to UTF-8 when program call gettext.  Message
> > is passed to Pange without change. When program output to terminal,
> > message was translate to their own encoding from UTF-8.
> > Problem is we have to think about where to messages should go.
> >       fprintf(stderr, _("Unrecognized option: \"%s\"\n"), argv[i]);
> > don't need translate to UTF-8. Same problem has freelog. So we may
> > need to have special macro like N_, and change many source code.
>
> It is a problem that gettext only supports one locale.

One possible solution:
  1. Use bind_textdomain_codeset(PACKAGE, "UTF-8") to have gettext
     return all strings in UTF-8 encoding.
  2. For console output, either use GLib's print functions (which accept
     UTF-8 strings) or write a wrapper function that does the equivalent
     of g_locale_from_utf8. You can skip this step if you're in a UTF-8
     locale already.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Jeeves shimmered out and came back with a telegram."