[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA and observer (PR#1557)

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA and observer (PR#1557)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:43:35 +0200

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:08:45AM +0200, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> On 2002-06-12 11:05:14, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 10:16:17AM -0700, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > > CVS 11 JUNE 2002
> > >
> > > Terrible things happen if you connect two _controlling_ clients
> > > with the same player on the server (see option allowconnect).
> >
> > If you give the two CMAs different goals it is interresting to see
> > that the clients will change the city forever. I have no answer what
> > should happen. So in short it isn't supported.
>
> Ideally, there should be one CMA per _player_ instead of per _client_ -
> so when one client changes the CMA the changes should be mirrored in
> other clients playing the same player...

I think that multiple controlling clients are a nice technical idea
but I don't see the value. IMHO splitting the control space is a
better idea. This can be done at spatial (one client per island) or
type (one client for cities, one for units) or time (even turns, odd
turns).

Has anybody any real experience with multiple controlling clients?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Many of my assistants were fans of Tolkien, who wrote 'Lord of the Rings'