[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Making city report list faster

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Making city report list faster
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:27:27 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > Actually it would be nice if we had a network interface which could
> > serialize Freeciv packets, combine and split them into network packet size
> > chunks and send them, then deserialize them on the other side. (Attributes
> > do this already as a special case.) This way we would get much more
> > efficient network usage.
>
> This is nonsense.

Yes, this is nonsense. I really should RTFC before commenting.

> > Also there does not look like there is any reason for the constant
> > malloc/free'ing that goes on in the network layer.
>
> You mean

Yes.

> Question: how much overhead is this? Can it be measured?

I think it can be measured. Just need to stick some timing stuff in there
and load the same savegame before and after with a single client
connected.

Yours,
Per

"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a dark room.
Especially if there is no cat there." - Confucius