[Freeciv-Dev] Re: packet batches? (was: [Patch] Making city report list

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: packet batches? (was: [Patch] Making city report list faster)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:04:35 +0200

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 07:52:40PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> The amount of possible "cheating" is limited by the fixed TCP packet size.

I'm not sure about this. The server executes all requests which have
found its way into the receiving socket buffer of the connection. Why
should this be limited to a TCP packet size if the server is slow?

$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
65535

So the default socket buffer size of incoming data is 64k.

> At the moment, the client only calls connection_do_buffer() in the CMA.

> Perhaps the server should prohibit the client from sending multiple
> move requests in the same TCP packet.

We can it more fair to just execute one request per connection/player
at one time. But is this really a problem?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Q:  Do you know what the death rate around here is?