[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Zaurus port

To: Rob Fisher <rfisher@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Zaurus port
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 16:42:24 -0400

Rob Fisher wrote:
Hi all,

I've joined this mailing list because I have started porting Freeciv to the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 PDA. This PDA is a rather nice Linux box that fits in your pocket. I don't actually own the PDA yet but I have ordered one, and I have the development environment on my PC so I've started work.

2) Is the structure of the client likely to change in a big way very soon? I am currently working with version 1.12.0

It has not changed in a big way since 1.12.0, but there have been changes. More code has been moved out of the GUI areas, and into the common client areas. A few of the GUI stub functions have been removed. As others have suggested, you should work off of the beta if you can't use CVS.

3) Are there any non-isometric tile sets? The map drawing code in the existing clients seems to cater for isometric and non-isometric. A top down view with small tiles may be more suitable for playing on a small PDA screen.

One day in the distant future, I would hope the GUI code will be entirely "dumb" and all of the isometric-view/flat-view stuff can be handled by the client common code. Until that day (and it is approaching only *very* slowly), you will have to special-case isometric-view in a lot of places if you want to support it. Fortunately, you don't have to support isometric view - take a look at the XAW GUI, which does not have isometric support.

Note that the isometric view is also a top-down, overhead view just like the standard view. Some of the tiles do have a side-view appearance, but that has nothing to do with the system itself. But for a small tileset, it will probably be a lot easier to use a standard tileset than an isometric one. I'd recommend you get the standard view working first, then consider adding isometric support later.

jason