[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tilesets in 1.13.0

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tilesets in 1.13.0
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 12:08:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 07:44:08AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> >
> > > Public Domain license, so we can GPL the graphics or do whatever we want.
> > As
> > > for the graphics stolen from Civ 2, Daniel got them all. There were also
> > some
> > > infringing in Per's R-Hires.
> >
> > I have seen the messages, but not the tilesets.
> > Can anyone verify the contents of
> >
> >   ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/contrib/tilesets/
>
> Known tilesets that are clean:
>
> Cevo2.tgz (Get rid of Cevo.tgz, it has some graphics from Civ 2, with minor
> changes like colour etc) Not our fault. The Cevo people have been infringing.
>
> R-Hires(Per?). Per claims he got the last of the infrining graphics.
>
> Hires.
>
> The rest I have no idea. I assume they are clean. Lexxy is probably clean.

Lexxy is clean if trident and engels are clean.  There may (I'm not
sure) be an old version floating aroung with a questionable galleon.  I
can't remember if I distributed that one or not.  The galleon was very big
and sort-of strange-looking.  Just delete all old versions to be safe.

BTW: I am slightly suspicious of the Hires Ironclad -- it looks
*extremely* similar to an actual photograph of an actual ironclad.  The
photo was taken ~150 years ago, but its digitization may have
re-copyrighted it (IANAL).  There are many strange lines in the sprite
which don't make sense but were in the photo.

This should remind us that there are more places to copy from than
enslavedciv.  In particular, we know that c-evo took from civ2 and Hires
(which isn't legal either, GPL -/-> PD, but I leave that to the Hires
author).  It is possible that they took from other illegal sources as
well.  Unless we can find the actual creators of every sprite, cevo should
be viewed with a bit of distrust.

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."