[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Column@Apolyton: #204 Talking with Sid and Soren

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Column@Apolyton: #204 Talking with Sid and Soren
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:47:42 +0100

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 02:14:14PM +0200, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Ben Webb wrote:
> >     It's been updated several times, but we have better things to do
> > than spend our lives updating patches.
> Well, if nobody cares to update it, there is no chance it will go into
> cvs, either.

This is true, but it seems we have the choice between
1. Update the patch. Result: lots of time spent keeping it up to date.
   Patch doesn't get into CVS.
2. Do not update. Result: time to do other things.
   Patch doesn't get into CVS.

        The main problem with updating it is that it moves some map
functions from server/ to common/ (IIRC). Thus, any time anybody touches
those functions, loads of hunks fail in the patch. If these functions could
just be moved in CVS (no changes are actually made to them), our job would
be made so much easier. If you're amenable to this, I'll split the patch.

> > What bugs are you referring to?
> I reported one on the freeciv-ac mailing list a while back, and got a
> reply from Stewart that he had no time to fix any bugs.

OK, in that case I'll take a look at it in the near future.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment.  It's the