[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Column@Apolyton: #204 Talking with Sid and Soren

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Column@Apolyton: #204 Talking with Sid and Soren
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:28:22 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Reinier Post wrote:
> % find ~/src/freeciv -name '*.[ch]' | xargs cat |  wc | sort -n | tail
>  213762  612095 6859974
>
> (i.e. 213762 lines of code)

Yummy.

> > Levels
> > -----------------------------
> >         The house rule is that they test the game at Regent level.
> > Anecdotally, they believe that people start at a lowish level and then
> > work their way up until it becomes too difficult.
> >
> >         They've deliberately made the step up in difficulty level
> > steeper than in CivII (and I think it's generally agreed that they've
> > succeeded).
>
> Freeciv needs more levels, 'easy' is too hard and 'hard' is too easy.

Next release will feature a much tougher "hard" AI, I am sure. But PayCiv
levels didn't just affect the AI, it also changed some other parameters. I
don't think that is a good idea for Freeciv.

> > Last Unit
> > -----------------------------
> >         The widespread perception that the last unit in a city acquires
> > magical powers is false. Sid said that this did happen though in CivI
> > when Barbarians attacked a city since it was "so annoying" to lose a
> > city to them: which is where the idea may have come from.
>
> Looks like a point for our Civ I compatibility list :-)

Bug compatibility?

> > National Boundaries
> > -----------------------------
> >         There were "about 20 different versions" of this before the one
> > they finally came up with.
>
> There's a borders patch, but is it in CVS?

No, but if its author would only care to update it and debug it, I'd work
towards getting it in post-release.

> >         I hassled them about my own bugbear - why not an Attitude
> > Advisor like in CivII so that you can see really clearly who is
> > revolting (rather than by peering at the Domestic Advisor screen) - and
> > even an "auto-devolt" function.
> >
> >         Soren always plays with "Manage Citizens' Moods" on (which
> > means that after one turn of revolt the city is automatically pacified
> > and so partially deals with the problem).
>
> This would be a good Freeciv feature.

CMA does this already.

Yours,
Per

"As Israeli forces pursued militants, civilians
continued getting in the way and dying as a
result." -- New York Times, April 21