[Freeciv-Dev] Re: notifies cleanup patch (6)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: notifies cleanup patch (6)
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:08:35 -0500

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 04:02:45PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 02:10:29PM +0200, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > I don't like the scrolling. IMHO the correct way is to provide tabbed
> > > panes for "city related events", "unit related events", "diplomat
> > > related events", "diplomacy related events" and "misc events".
> >
> > The scrolled dialog is _very_ nice for 800x600. I don't think a tabbed
> > dialog would be that nice there. A tabbed dialog is also harder to extend
> > and requires more work. I say we ship with a scrolled dialog for now, and
> > then add a tabbed dialog post-release if someone writes one which is
> > better.
>
> So if I change the patch to use tabbed pane you will be happy?

I will not be happy. once again we have overkill, and this time in an area
of the user experience that is used very rarely. You want to add a couple
hundred lines to a spot that a user will see a couple minutes in the entire
lifetime of the game. And the actual return on your work will be minimal.

As I said before, concentrate on good alphabetization. You'll get a lot
farther. Take a look at the events you propose to pane. You have city
events, diplomat events, hut events, and then the rest. The rest comprises
50% of the list. If you want a unit pane, you've only got 3 or 4 options:
silly.

  GEN_EV(N_("Gold Found in Hut"),                 E_HUT_GOLD),
  GEN_EV(N_("Tech Found in Hut"),                 E_HUT_TECH),
  GEN_EV(N_("Mercenaries Found in Hut"),          E_HUT_MERC),
  GEN_EV(N_("Unit Spared by Barbarians"),         E_HUT_BARB_CITY_NEAR),
  GEN_EV(N_("Barbarians in a Hut Roused"),        E_HUT_BARB),
  GEN_EV(N_("Killed by Barbarians in a Hut"),     E_HUT_BARB_KILLED),
  GEN_EV(N_("City Founded from Hut"),             E_HUT_CITY),

  GEN_EV(N_("Hut: Gold Found in"),                E_HUT_GOLD),
  GEN_EV(N_("Hut: Tech Found in"),                E_HUT_TECH),
  GEN_EV(N_("Hut: Mercenaries Found in"),         E_HUT_MERC),
  GEN_EV(N_("Hut: Unit Spared by Barbarians"),    E_HUT_BARB_CITY_NEAR),
  GEN_EV(N_("Hut: Barbarians Roused in"),         E_HUT_BARB),
  GEN_EV(N_("Hut: Killed by Barbarians in"),      E_HUT_BARB_KILLED),
  GEN_EV(N_("Hut: City Founded from"),            E_HUT_CITY),

don't bloat the code where simple text rearrangement suffices.

leave the scrolling be. utilize your time on the open bugs.

-mike