[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autoconf2.5x patch

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autoconf2.5x patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 00:34:51 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
>  - from my understanding the old autoconf won't touch configure.ac and
>  the new one won't touch configure.in. So I see no reason why
>  configure.in should be renamed to configure.old.

It seems to be alright if you use autoconf2.13 and have configure.ac, but
if you have autoconf2.52 and have configure.in, it will produce massive
warnings. This new patch doesn't rename configure.in, only moves it out of
the way if 2.52 is found. That way we don't lose configure.in's cvs
history.

>  - running it here produce:
> $ ./autogen.sh
> + checking for autoconf >= 2.52 ... + checking for autoconf >= 2.13 ... found
> 2.13, ok.

> + running autoheader ...
> configure.in:360: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
> + running autoconf ...
> configure.in:360: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
>  This is probably because of the changes in m4/x.m4. What about two
>  files (m4/x-ac213.m4 and m4/x-ac25.m4) or two directories (m4-ac213
>  and m4-ac25) (but these two dirs seems like overkill)?

Made them m4/x.252 and m4/x.213. autogen.sh copies the one it needs to
m4/x.m4 (and then compiles all m4/*.m4 into acinclude.m4).

The attached patch should solve all mentioned problems. I've _tried_ to
fix the cygwin stuff too, but it probably needs more fixing. I don't like
the fact that it never tries to actually _find_ the mingw library.

Andreas, can you take a look at it?

Yours,
Per

Ask not what you can do for your country
Ask what your country did to you
 -- KMFDM, Dogma